In celebration of the release of ‘Live At Leeds’, The Who have released a new video for the track ‘Tattoo’. Created by award-winning director Chris Boyle, who has produced work for the likes of Dizzee Rascal, Google and Warp films, the video takes the audience on a journey through the track’s lyrics, combining iconic art and Pete Townshend’s classic lyricism, providing a beautiful and memorable experience for both eyes and ears.
The track, which was a highlight of the live sets at both Leeds and Hull in 1970, provides proof of the depth of the band’s catalogue, standing as it does alongside the more well known anthems, as frontman Roger Daltrey points out:
“This is a great lesser known Townshend song and the animated film captures Pete’s ability to create a complete story in 3 minutes. Although Pete has created rock operas such as ‘Tommy’ and ‘Quadrophenia’, which have translated into movies, many of Pete’s songs could be a movie in themselves.”
The ‘Live At Leeds’ box-set which features in full what is seen by many as the best live show of all time, contains:
– Two CDs containing the full Leeds show from 14 February 1970 recorded for the album including the complete performance of Tommy
– For the first time ever – two CDs containing The Who’s complete performance from Hull
– A heavyweight vinyl reproduction of the original six-track album as it was released in 1970
– A new 64-page hard-back, colour book containing rare photos, memorabilia from the original release (replica contracts, letters, poster gig list, photos etc.) and liner notes detailing the history of this landmark album
– A replica 7″ single – ‘Summertime Blues / Heaven & Hell’ with colour sleeve
– A classic Pete Townshend poster
– Housed in a hard-back box with cover artwork reproducing the original black stamped vinyl first UK pressing which, according to the July 2010 edition of Record Collector magazine, is now valued at approximately £250 in mint condition.
Check out a single still from the video by Brightcove below:
For more information visit the official website.